Thank you for visiting Mackenzie Health Volunteer Portal. The application portal for high school students is now closed. Thank you.
Volunteer Application Process & Deadlines
Please read carefully as we have changed our process and deadlines from previous years.
What do We Look for in an Applicant?
When assessing applications, we first narrow the field to complete and accurate applications that offer a glimpse of the volunteers personality and highlight what qualities the applicant would bring to the patient experience. We then look for applicants whose experience, interest and availability matches our current vacancies.For Student Volunteers, we look for students that are able to manage the application process on their own as well as manage their own schedule. Part of demonstrating this maturity is communicating on your own behalf whether by phone, email or in person. We do not discuss applications, interviews or placements with anyone other than the applicant. For parents or guardians wishing more information about a student's progress, we ask that you speak with your student as we are not able to provide you with that information.
What Should You Consider before Applying?
When preparing an application, please consider your ability to fully commit to the program and the patients at Mackenzie Health. We enforce a very high standard for attendance and punctuality. Volunteers in this program must be able to maintain their commitment to their volunteer placement even during periods of heavy school workload and exams. During the summer program, we permit 2 missed shifts for vacation or other activities. If you need to miss more than 2 shifts, please consider waiting to apply for the school year program.
Adult Application Process
ADULT applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis. The commitment for the Adult program is a minimum of 6 months. This application is for anyone NOT attending school in September. Applicants may be contacted for an interview anywhere within 6 months of their application.
Summer 2018 Student Application Process
STUDENT applications for both high school and post-secondary students willl be accepted ONLY between March 19th and April 1st, 2018. Applications received outside of this period will not be considered. Please make sure you indicate your summer availability when you are applying. Do not use the adult application portal if you are a student your application will NOT be considered.
The selection process and interview invitations will take place between April 1st and April 15th, 2018. Screening forms are handed to successful candidates after the interview.
Required screenings include:
- vulnerable sector check - volunteer's cost $30
- health screening (Tuberculosis screening, immunity screening for Measles, Mumps, Rubella and Varicella) - volunteer's cost will vary based on their personal physician's fee schedule
- completion of online education courses as assigned by Mackenzie Health
- two written references (forms provided)
- successful candidates must provide a $30 refundable deposit for a uniform, photo ID badge and parking pass.
Successful candidates MUST attend an orientation on May 4th, 2018 or June 12th, 2018. Successful candidates will have until June 15th, 2018 to submit all the appropriate screening forms in order to be guaranteed a placement. If screenings are received after June 15th, 2018, we cannot guarantee that you will receive a placement.
Volunteer Resources Overview
Over 900 residents of Southwest York Region volunteer at Mackenzie Health each year. Their contribution of over 90 000 hours of service is critical to fulfilling the hospitals vision of creating a world-class health experience.
Mackenzie Health welcomes volunteers from all walks of life. We are looking for people who demonstrate professionalism and are able provide a supportive and welcoming environment for our patients and families. Mackenzie Health volunteers value excellence, leadership and compassion. They are inclusive, collaborative and are accountable for their actions. If you think you would like to join this amazing team we would be happy to speak with you.
We offer 3 different programs
- Adult Program: Applications are accepted throughout the year. Adult volunteers are required to commit to a minimum of one shift per week (2-4hrs) for a minimum of 6 months. Some positions do require a full year commitment.
- School Year Program: Secondary and Post Secondary students are placed in a position from September until the end of June. Students in this program are expected to fulfill a minimum of one shift per week (2-4hrs) for the entire program. To be eligible for this program, students must have completed Gr. 9 and can be in any level of education above this.
- Summer Program: Secondary and Post Secondary students are placed in a position from May until the end of August. Students in the program are expected to fulfill a minimum of one shift per week (2-4hrs) for the duration of the summer. To be eligible for this program, students must have completed Gr. 9 and can be in any level of education above this.
Whatever your stage in life, we are interested in discussing possible opportunities with you!